How to be a Green Traveller
Tips on how to be a green traveller:
- Be mindful. Consider & celebrate the environment and communities you explore.
- Educate yourself about the place and people you are visiting.
- Don’t be a litterbug. Carry your own reusable water bottle, coffee mug and shopping bag to avoid contributing to the massive plastic problem plaguing many destinations, not to mention our oceans!
- Conserve water! Take shorter showers or skip some. The average hotel guest uses 300 litres of water per night. For luxury hotels, up to 1800 litres!
- Don’t be an energy hog. Unplug your mobile phone charger, computers; air dry your clothes and please don’t forget to turn off the lights!
- Support the local community. Sleep local, eat local, shop local – enjoy the local culture!
- Take public transit. Or if you must rent a car, why not a hybrid or electric?
- Ask your travel provider (tour operator, travel agent) about their environmental and responsible tourism policies – support those who support sustainable tourism.
- Ask your accommodation provider about their green practices – Do they recycle? Compost? Do they have fair labour laws? Do they have an environmental policy?
Do you find these tips easy to do? What actions would you like to see your travel provider take to be more sustainable? Let us know your suggestions on how to be a greener traveller.